Romantic Valentine's Day Story

It all started on a Friday afternoon...

Okay, on the real -- it's not a romantic story, but it was Valentine's Day and I couldn't think of another title that would make you want to click and read.

Last Valentine's Day I hopped into Donato's van with Taja to go to the bank. Prior to going to the bank, we were discussing how shady and unsafe the area was and how many people had warned us about being in that area of town. Well, I'm practically fearless so I paid them no attention.

Everything started out normal. Got to the bank, waited for a teller, stood while they counted my deposit, grabbed my receipt, walked out the door, and then it happened. I looked around the parking lot for Donato's green Ford van. I didn't see it anywhere.

First thought? Someone kidnapped them. Second thought? They totally ditched me. Okay, yeah. Drastic difference, but this is my story.

I reached to the back pocket of my jeans to determine which outcome it truly was when it hit me. I left my phone in the van. Well, on the positive side, the kidnappers won't know about that phone so my friends could possible call for help once the hoodlums took away their phones. On the negative, I now have no way of contacting the friends that ditched me.

I stood in the parking lot for what seemed like hours. Of course, it could have only been 2 minutes. But I didn't have a phone. So how was I supposed to know?? Remembering the prior conversation about the scary people that lived near the bank, I didn't want to be caught outside the bank with my wallet and a bank bag. So I began to look for green vans throughout the entire parking lot. I found several... none of them were Fords. I did what anyone else would do. I walked back to the church.

It was only a mile and change, but it gave me a long time to think. Here are a few of my thoughts:

1. Maybe I should fold up this bank bag to fit in my back pocket so I don't seem like more of a target for a mugging.

2. Totally should have worn tennis shoes today...

3. Maybe Donato went to drop Taja off at the church! It's possible I could see his van returning from the opposite side of the road and I can wave him down when I see his green van!

4. Seriously? I ran a marathon last year. Why is 1 mile so hard right now?

5. I wonder how much car exhaust I've inhaled so far...

6. I bet they're back at the bank.

7. What if they went to get me flowers!?? I did totally drop huge hints that it would be sweet to get flowers on Valentine's day!

8. Flowers are expensive. Maybe they got me a donut.

9. Stop thinking these things! You'll be upset twice as much because they ditched you AND they didn't have a good reason...

10. Are my legs supposed to be tingling?

11. Totally should have worn tennis shoes today...

12. I bet they're back at the bank.

13. I've gone too far. I might as well make the best of this.

After 40 minutes... Just kidding. I walked it in 17. What now?! Ha. Okay, so, after 17 minutes, I climbed the stairs to the church and had a friend call Taja. Interestingly enough, the following is Donato and Taja's conversation that occurred 1 minute before the call.

Donato: Do you think she walked??

Taja: No dude. We woke up at 8:30 this morning. Are you kidding? Why would she walk? She barely woke up this morning...

*Ring Ring*

Student calling Taja on my behalf: I'm calling on behalf of Amanda---

Taja: WHAT?!?! WHERE IS SHE?!?!

So here's what happened.

Donato had a messy van. (Typical guy) and while I was waiting in line for the bank, they cleaned out his van and drove to a dumpster. During the 3 minutes they were gone, I was outside panicking.

If you think the story is over -- keep reading. 

The next morning I shared this story with the rest of the group and Taja filled in the blanks. Until I realized there was one blank that made me feel like a stupid.

Amanda: So I was totally checking out every green van I found in the parking lot!

Taja: ... wait, what?? Donato's van is BURGUNDY!

The End.

This picture is for all my students just starting to learn to lead.

This was on the morn of my third day ever leading studying my map. :) (I was 19)



Comments

  1. This is soooo funny. Love you darling. Next time really look at the color of the vehicle you are in!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fire Drill...?

The Problem with All or Nothing

Health Update