The Assurance

Something I have started noticing in my adult life is the fact that nothing is for certain. As a child, you knew there would be food on your table. You knew there would be clothing to wear. You knew there would be a warm bed to sleep on. As a child, you knew Jesus was your best friend.

Somewhere along the way, each of these certainties began to take on a new appearance.

Now I look at the food in my fridge and think, "I need to go shopping again. I'm over budget on my food..." I look at the clothing in my closet and think, "How much money have I spent on clothing throughout the years? How many people don't have any?" Or I look at my bed and smile. Because that's close to my favorite part of my day. Sleeping.

But what if you lost your job? Lost your ability to walk? Lost your eyesight? These kinds of fears never entered the thoughts of the child...

And with those types of fears comes the truth of how adults can have fear in their relationship with that Friend, Jesus. Does He really come through? Where is He in my trials? How can I be sure of His presence in my life?

These thoughts all came from reading 1 John 5:13 this morning. "These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God."

That assurance of Jesus is ours. That love He has for us is unfailing. If you're struggling and need some hope and love this week, read 1 John. It's only 5 chapters and it's so full of precious gems like the one above.

Happy Sabbath!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fire Drill...?

The Problem with All or Nothing

Health Update