One is the Loneliest Number

The past 3 weeks I've been here at UCA, one thing stands out.

I only cook for 1 person.

Do you know what this means?

1. Lots of leftovers
2. You eat the same type of food all week so you don't have items going bad in your fridge
3. Lots of leftovers
4. You get tired of that same type of food, but realize that 40 minutes of prep time isn't worth it to make something else.
5. You start wanting to cook for other people

My best friend (for those who don't know who that is, it's Heidi) was always the one in our friendship to invite people over, make food for them, and to take joy in service.

I personally never felt that joy. I just felt prune-like hands at the end of it from doing the dishes. (Okay, in all honesty, we had a dishwasher and when we didn't, I usually just entertained her while she cleaned... I know I'm a horrible best friend. I have, for the record, done dishes at her house a few times when I wasn't the partaker in the food. Please don't judge me for this admission.)

But that joy never really sprung up in my heart like it did for her. Many times I just thought, "Well. I'm a horrible person. I'm selfish." But then again, I've only ever lived with someone who enjoys cooking. Or at a school with a cafeteria etc. and haven't really had to cook for just me.

Until Now.

And it totally stinks. You want to be creative, but if you're the only one eating it, it doesn't matter.

Therefore! I shall begin inviting students over for lunch occasionally to try new recipes I have made.

I've also decided I'm only updating once a week. Friday. Or Sunday. Or something. :)

Comments

  1. Please invite me!!!! I am still a student... Therefore I qualify right??

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO true. Corey eats his own stuff and I eat mine, 'cause all my allergies. It's just easier that way. Plus his tastes and mine are so vastly dissimilar… there are only a few things we can agree on, and who wants to eat salmon every day?! But seriously, when I lived in Idaho I cooked for 5, every day. Now that it's just me… it's like, why bother?! Although it is nice to freeze portions for later when I need something fast and don't have the energy to make anything. (Hah. I speak as though I still actually cook things. It's a rarity these days. It costs too much in energy and pain buildup to really bother.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a terrible blogger! This comment is over a year old and I never responded! Merciful heavens. :S

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fire Drill...?

The Problem with All or Nothing

Health Update