Reflections on Health

In December, I completed the HEALTH program with 30 or so of my new friends. Here's how it impacted my life:

- I lost 22.6 decagrams... that just sounded more impressive than .5 lbs lol
- I gained more or less 5,000 pounds... of new friendship.

My expectations of the program when I signed up were very different from what I encountered. In some ways, that was negative. But in many more ways, it was such a blessing. What did I expect?

- To be thinking about myself and my own health the entire time
- That I would be alone for the most part other than my outreach partner (Shout out to JUBY!! I miss you cuz!!)
- The programs would be dull, but necessary to learn how to facilitate.
- I would change drastically in a physical sense
- I wouldn't change that much in the way I viewed my world
- That I'd make simple friendships that wouldn't be that deep because, hey! we're only here for 4 months, so why get attached? (Right. Like that ever happens in a Summer program over only 10 weeks...)

Now, after spending 4 months at Weimar (a place I now hold dear in my heart), these expectations were sorely disappointed. :)

In learning about how many people suffer from completely reversible diseases, I began to look at people in a different way. I really believe when we start seeing the physical ailments of those around us, and realize that they don't have to live that way, we begin to see them as Christ does.

I learned that I'm just like everyone else. I want a quick fix. I want something painless and effortless and still gain the maximum results. Not possible. Does that reflect on my relationship with God? You better believe it!

I did end up loving my outreach partner, but I also made so many friends in addition to her. I'm so very blessed to have been in the class I was. I appreciated every single person there for different reasons and they all enriched my life in different ways.

Here is where I will make a rather
large shout out to the crew. lol. Jonny, Hailey, Lakshmi, Gregory, and Kevin were 5 of the most inspiring, loving, challenging, and fun people I had the privilege of spending the last 4 months with. They are some of the most real and supportive people I've ever met. #lifelongfriends #frontallobe #depressionthewayout #readpraycrochet #bachplaylistonspotifyislegit


Finally, the way I see my world has changed. I see how I think more clearly. I understand what my mind distorts and why. I've been able to understand who I am in Christ and how to extend that to others in a more loving and real way. Health in all its entirety is so important to look into. It's not just the "vegans vs the carnivores" battle we've all been exposed to -- there is so much more to it than that. And it's all backed by science and the testimony of others! :D

My next post will be about Donny. He's the new man in my life. He's a gem. A keeper. A dog. ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fire Drill...?

The Problem with All or Nothing

Health Update